top of page


Members of The Irish Association of Funeral Directors

Death Certificate

A Death Certificate may be obtained from the local Registrar. To find out who this is, you need to speak to the deceased person’s General Practitioner, Nursing Home Doctor, Hospital Mortuary Technician or the Coroner involved. If a post mortem has taken place, it could take anything from 3 months onwards for the Coroner’s inquest report to be established. You should contact the Coroner involved in relation to this.

Bereavement Grant

There is a bereavement grant available from the state for the family of the bereaved. The application form and explanatory booklet may be given to you at the time of the Funeral Arrangements or may be obtained from community care. You will need a copy of the Death Certificate / Interim Death Certificate and Funeral Invoice for this grant. A form is usually forwarded to you by social welfare when pension book etc. is returned.

Death Benefit

Death Benefit is a Social Welfare Grant and is normally given to the next of kin of the deceased. This grant is used to help towards the cost of the funeral expenses. The person that is paying for this should apply to the Social Welfare Officer at their local Health Centre, and they should bring along a copy of the Death Certificate / Interim Death Certificate and a copy of the Funeral Invoice for this grant. This is not a means tested grant.

Old Age Pension Books

Pension Books should be returned to the local Post Office of the deceased. If there is either a husband or wife left behind and they are not divorced or legally separated, they are entitled to the deceased individual’s pension in full for a further 6 weeks. However, the pension book should be returned to the Post Office as soon as possible after the death has occurred and the 6 week pension will be sent to them in full within 2 to 3 weeks.

Widow’s Contribution & Non-Contribution Pensions

If your husband or wife has passed away, you will be entitled to a widow’s pension, which safeguards you financially after your loss. The application forms and explanatory booklets may be given to a family member at the time of the funeral arrangements or may be obtained from our offices, and is paid out to you on a weekly basis by the state.


For more information on paperwork & documentation needed during this time, get in touch with Hyland Funeral Directors.

Carer’s Allowance

If a family member or friend is on Carer’s Allowance when the person that they care for passes away, the person claiming Carer’s Allowance is entitled to the allowance for a further 6 weeks. However, they must notify the Social Welfare Officer in question and he will post them the 6 weeks allowance in full within 2 – 3 weeks of notification.

Widowed Parent Grant

A Widow Parent Grant is a once-off payment to the parent or guardian of a child up to the age of 13 years or a child between the ages of 18 and 22 years in full time education. This is to help the parent who has experienced the death of their partner with parenting costs. To find out more on how to qualify contact the Department Pension Services Office, Widowed Parent Grant Scheme.

Payment of Funeral Invoices

Funeral Invoices should be paid within 30 days from the date of the invoice. Should a funeral account go to probate/ solicitor, any available funds in Banking Financial Institutions can, by law, be paid direct to the Funeral Undertaker on presentation of the invoice to that institution. Hyland Funeral Directors offers personal funeral invoices to clients as agreed beforehand.

Exceptional Needs Payment

An exceptional needs payment is administered by the Health Boards on behalf of the Department of Social and Family Affairs, may be available to give financial assistance if you do not have adequate means to pay for the funeral. For more information on this payment, contact your local social welfare department for advice.

Burial & Cremation

The choice of burial or cremation all depends on the deceased’s wishes. There is little difference in the overall cost of this if a grave is already bought. However, if a new grave needs to be purchased, then this can add on to the cost of the funeral. When arranging for the opening of an existing grave, the funeral director must be provided with the grave number or the details of the person or persons interred in that grave. Following this, the funeral director will then make all the necessary arrangements.


If an estate is to go to Probate it is recommended that a family member / executor or solicitor should do this. If you wish to contact the Probate Office they will assist you in every possible way. For more information on what do after a loved one dies, and the legal proceedings surrounding this, get in touch with our team today who would be happy to help.


For more information on grants, payments, and schemes available after the death of a loved one, contact Hyland Funeral Directors.

Funeral Information FAQ

What do I do after someone has died?

One of the best things to do following the death is a loved one is to tell friends and family. After this has been done, it can be beneficial to contact a local funeral director service, as they are professionals in this area and will guide you through the next steps to take.

Is there any social welfare allowance for widows?

Yes. The state provides a range of grants and social welfare allowances for people who have experienced a loss. Examples of these are the widowed parent grant, bereavement grand, and widow’s pension. Get in touch with Hyland Funeral Directors for more information on this.

How do I submit a death certificate?

A death certificate can be obtained from any local registrar office and must be registered in any General Register Office. For help with obtaining and submitting a death certificate in Kildare, contact Hyland Funeral Directors today.

bottom of page